Saturday, March 23, 2013

March 23, 2013



Notice something missing between the above photo and this one?  If you guessed that huge grey pine in the middle of the picture, you guessed right!!

I had a tree service come in yesterday, but I wasn't able to see the finished product until this morning, since I got home after dark.




Normally, I wouldn't take down a healthy tree, but this one had a number of things working against it.  It shaded my garden almost ALL day and dropped huge, pointy, pitchy, pine cones from about sixty feet high.   When you weren't in fear for your life of being hit on the head by one, you were accidentally stepping on them and twisting your ankle.  Finally, it blocked my view of the pasture and upper gate. 

Here are the mortal remains of the grey pine.  They will also go in the garden, between the raised beds, to slowly return their nutrients back into the soil.

(Did you notice that most of my pictures get photo-bombed by dogs?)





And here's the starting line up....
 Red chili pepper
 Lemon cucumber
 Tomato (Cherokee Purple Heirloom)
 Tomato (Rutgers Heirloom)
 Zucchini
 Cantaloupe


 Last year's crop still doing well:  rhubarb and garlic

No comments:

Post a Comment