Sunday, March 17, 2013

March 17, 2013

My half-dead, bought-on-sale, miniature roses are making a comeback!  When I bought them, they were barely alive.  It has been an uphill battle, as they were root-bound and dried out.  I repotted them, after which they were immediately attacked by spider mites!!  Much spraying of water and smashing of mite bodies later, I got this lovely flower to thank me for not giving up. 

One problem with re-using soil is that you occasionally get hitchhikers along for the ride.  I have no idea what this little guy is, although, if I had to guess, I'd say it is likely a germinated black oil sunflower seed.  The squirrels like to snitch the seeds out of the chickens' feed and bury them in the garden.  I'm going to let it go for now, since I am hoping to harvest the resident pac choi before the seedling needs much more room.

No comments:

Post a Comment